Exotic Orange 'Tompouce'!
It's Kingsday in Holland tomorrow! The day that everyone and everything in Holland turns orange! And as a tradition in Holland, we eat orange 'Tompouces' to celebrate this event. We made an exotic alternative to the traditional 'Tompouce': with kumquats and ricotta!
Ingredients for 5 'tompouce'
150g kumquats cut into slices, seeds removed
80g white sugar
250ml whipping cream
Grated peel of approx. 5 kumquats
5 slices of puff pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Heat a saucepan with a thin layer of water and bring to a boil. Dissolve 50g of sugar in it.
2. Add the kumquat slices to the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until the sugar is caramelized and the kumquats are soft and jelly.
3. In the meantime, whip the cream in a bowl with the rest of the sugar.
4. Beat the ricotta in a different bowl and add the grated kumquat peel to it.
5. Gently mix the ricotta with the whipped cream and put in the refrigerator.
6. Cut the slices of puff pastry in half and spread over a baking sheet.
7. Bake the puff pastry slices until golden brown in about 20 minutes.
8. Fill a piping bag with the ricotta cream.
9. Let the slices of puff pastry cool down and then zigzag the ricotta cream over the length of a slice of puff pastry.
10. Place another slice of puff pastry on top and repeat the previous step.
11. Cover the top layer of ricotta cream with a few kumquat slices.