Mini Tempeh Sandwich
Tempeh is a delicious and healthy meat substitute. Perfect for vegetarians, but even the non-vegetarians at Bud could appreciate this tempeh sandwich! Tempeh has a firm structure. This is achieved by peeling whole soy beans after which it's soaked, cooked and fermented for two days. Tempeh has a quite neutral taste, so it is important to marinate it.
Ingredients for 10 mini sandwiches
10 mini rolls
1/2 block of tempeh, cut into strips
1 onion, cut into thin rings
1 (purple haze) carrot, cut into thin slices
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
30 ml soy sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
1 can of pineapple cubes on juice
1 tbsp. cornstarch
Cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
1. Heat oil on medium heat and fry the tempeh until it's golden brown and crispy, this takes about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Fry the onion with a pinch of salt on a medium heat. Add the garlic and carrot and cook in 3-5min until soft.
3. Mix the juice from the canned pineapple with the sugar, soy sauce and the cornstarch. Stir until the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved and season with pepper. Keep the pineapple cubes separate.
4. Add the sauce to the pan and bring to the boil. Keep stirring until the sauce is heavily thickened.
5. Finally add the pineapple cubes and tempeh to the pan and stir
6. Cover the mini rolls with the contents of the pan and garnish with the cashew nuts and spring onions.